"THE WETLANDS OF NORTHERN TUSCANY"
2° TRIENNIAL PROGRAMME FOR PROTECTED AREAS 1997-99 IN THE REGION OF TUSCAN
Provinces of Pistoia, Pisa, Lucca and Florence - Communes of Quarrata, Sesto Fiorentino, Bientina and Capannori - Regional Nature Parks of Migliarino-San Rossore-Massaciuccoli - Centre of Research, Documentation and Promotion of the Fucecchio Marshes - A.P.T. Montecatini Terme-Valdinievole - Consortium for the Reclamation of the Fucecchio Marshes - WWF Toscana, WWF Sections of Lucca e Pisa - LIPU Tuscany - Legambiente Toscana e Circolo Valdera - La.M.M.A. Region of Tuscany - F.M.A. - Applied Meteorological Foundation
The exhibition is part of the "Along the Migratory Routes Project", which aims to establish a network of protected areas to favour managerial synergy and better integration within the largest system of regional planning.
The project links a series of wetlands distributed between the coast and the Florence-Prato-Pistoia Plain, which are irreplaceable stop-over points along the main migratory routes towards the Apennine Ridge.
The project involves the following areas:
- Natural Reserve of the Lame di Fuori of San Rossore in the Migliarino-San Rossore- Massaciuccoli Park
- ANPIL "Il Bottaccio" in the Commune of Capannori
- ANPIL "Bosco di Tanali" (Tanali Wood) in the Commune of Bientina
- "Lago di Sibolla" (Lake Sibolla) Provincial Nature Reserve in the Province of Lucca
- "Padule di Fucecchio" (Fucecchio Marshes) Provincial Nature Reserve in the Provinces of Pistoia and Florence.
- ANPIL "La Querciola" in the Commune of Quarrata.
- ANPIL "La Querciola" in the Commune of Sesto Fiorentino.
Aims and objectives
- Development of the basic potential infrastructures
- Conservation and restoration of the environment
- Co-ordination of research programmes on the flora and fauna.
- Realisation of educational, popular and promotional material
The project is managed by a co-ordinating group, composed of experts from the Organisations and Associations involved in the different protected areas, and by work-groups of teaching staff and researchers, some connected with the University of Florence, for proposals in different areas of the project.
As stipulated in an agreement signed by the Provinces in question, co-ordination of "system" interventions has been entrusted to the Centro di Ricerca, Documentazione e Promozione del Padule di Fucecchio (Centre of Research, Documentation and Promotion of the Fucecchio Marshes).
4° TRIENNIAL PROGRAMME FOR PROTECTED AREAS 2004-07 IN THE REGION OF TUSCAN
The update and revision of the website have been made in 2012 as part of the project "Along the Migratory Routes", with funding from the Region of Tuscany and of the Province of Pistoia.